Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Whoa! It's the Next Big Blog Hop!


This is The Next Big Blog Hop!
Blog hops are pretty cool! They provide opportunities
 for authors to show off their craft to others. 

I was tagged by Samantha Fury (@SamanthaFury). 
Thank you, Samantha, for inviting me along on this blog hop!  

What is the title of your book?
Betrovia (The Land of Betrovia Book One)

Where did the idea for the book come from?
For too many years, I played role-playing games on my computer. Some of the time it was just me against the computer's artificially-intelligent CGI characters. But most of the time it was with other people from around the world as we fought the bad guys of Middle Earth. Yes, at one time I was addicted to Lord of the Rings Online. Actually, as I was trying to pay attention during one Sunday School class over 8 years ago, the idea for Betrovia hit me. Before that class was over, I had filled up two pieces of paper with character names, locations, plot/conflict. By the end of 2005, Book One was almost half-done drafted! (The original title of the novel was "The Innkeeper," by the way. When Book One was nearly done, I googled other books with the word "innkeeper" in their titles. Yes, there are more than a few.)

What genre does your book fall under?
Because Amazon, along with nearly all of the other online ebook vendors, require that books be categorized in some way, I had to choose a genre for the Betrovia trilogy. The most-logical choice was "historical fantasy." But it can also be seen as "epic fantasy" since the storylines are chock-full of many interesting characters!

Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?
The Land of Betrovia trilogy is being self-published. Nearly two years ago, I sent a query to a fairly-reputable "vanity press." This organization said they would love to add Betrovia to their stable; that is, as long as I was willing to fork over a bit more than $4000. Heh...

How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?
I started drafting Betrovia the spring of 2005. I hit Amazon's KDP "upload" button August 2011.

Give a one-sentence synopsis of your novel.
An innkeeper and his two daughters struggle to realize their destinys in the midst of a land about to be torn to pieces by civil war.

What other works would compare to your story?
Since Patrik, the main character of Betrovia, is challenged to take on a quest, much like Frodo was in Lord of the Rings, it appears that The Land of Betrovia trilogy should be compared to Tolkien's trilogy. One of Betrovia's reviewers wrote that the way the novel was written reminded him of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time books. My oldest son has read all of Jordan's Wheel of Time books; I guess I should ask him what he thinks about the comparison :)

Who or What inspired you to write this book?
Even though it sounds a bit "corny," I would have to say that Jehovah God, the creator of the universe, gave me the idea for The Land of Betrovia. I was in the middle of a Sunday School class when the storyline came to me, right?

What else might pique the reader’s interest?
Betrovia is not just about Patrik and his daughters and how they survive the civil war. There is a shadowy thief character, a few soldiers who are involved in their own misadventures, as well as oodles of my sordid opinions about religion, politics, big-business, etc. The Land of Betrovia is a romantic adventure that is completely family-friendly. If it was to be rated like a major motion picture, it would receive a PG-13 (and that is only because of the fight scenes.) If someone is looking for a book like The Lord of the Rings but does not care much about gruesome goblins, terrifying trolls, or even weird wraiths, then Betrovia is a book worth considering!

Oh, and don't forget to check out Samantha Fury's books! Samantha Fury's website


No comments:

Post a Comment